What is Open Data Day?
Open Data Day is a gathering of citizens in cities around the world to write applications, liberate data, create visualizations and publish analyses using open public data to show support for and encourage the adoption of open data policies by the world's local, regional and national governments.
Who is this event for?
If you have an idea for using open data, want to find an interesting project to contribute towards, learn about how to visualize or analyze data or simply want to see what's happening, then definitely come participate! No matter your skillset or interests, we are encouraging organizers to foster opportunities for you to learn and help the global open data community grow.
What to expect?
1. Learn more about open data.
2. Find out how your local and national government could do more to release open data.
3. Engage local non-profits and companies in the uses of open data for the products and missions
4. Meet & network with tons of cool people in your city and around the world.
5. Voice your opinion & share your ideas with the people and media attending.
6. Find out about apps being created, and get to play around with them as well.
7. Help out with parts of the conceptualization, creation, design, advertisement and testing of apps.
8. Conduct an open tutorial sessions around using open data,like learning how to customize google maps to show the data you want to show.
9. IMPORTANT: Have lots and lots of fun.
So what's the plan?
We are going to do Data Expedition! Again!
What is a data expedition?
The big idea is we going to search for data, and use the resulting data.
There's many approach but our approach of the day is to search for data for an issue. The end goal is we will have enough data to use to produce a story on an issue. If you don't know how to do things it is fine, through out the event we will teach you how to do things related to what we do.
The schedule are as follows
10:00-10:30 : Basic briefing and introduction
10:30 - 12:00 : Go on expedition
13:00 - until we are tired : Continue expedition
NOTE: we might not able to find everything we need, but it is fine. We still need to share the reason we did not achieve our. The idea of civic tech is new in Malaysia, everything we do is new here, and is a lesson that can help future initiative.